Benjamin Van Cleve (1773 – 1821)
- His marriage to Mary Whitten was the first marriage registered in Dayton. They had one son, John.
- Benjamin accompanied the first party of settlers to Dayton.
- Benjamin established Dayton’s first library, post office, and school, all in his log cabin.
John Van Cleve (1801 – 1858)
- He was a child prodigy. At 16, he was teaching Latin and Greek and translating plays from German and French.
- He contributed collections to Dayton’s first natural history museum
- Helped found Woodland Cemetery
- Was reportedly over 300 pounds and very sensitive about his appearance. He refused to marry and would not sit for portraits or photographs.