Occasionally in our research, we come across a really interesting fact, but there isn’t enough for a full story. We like to compile these into lists to share. Here are a few!
- Mad River, the former Wayne Township (now Huber Heights), Wayne High School, and Wayne Avenue are all named for Major General “Mad” Anthony Wayne.
- Abraham Lincoln credits the first mention of his presidential race to Dayton, Ohio.
- On March 30, 1901, the Dayton Daily News was run by a women-only editorial staff. Local historian Charlotte Reeve Conover approached James M. Cox and asked him to allow the Young Women’s League to run the paper for one day to raise money for a new building. Despite predictions of failure, the paper not only went to press on time, but the demand was so high, they had to work overtime to compensate. The ladies received a check for $1,800 for their efforts.
- Walter Stebbins High School was originally Mad River Township High School, where Stebbins was the superintendent from 1943 to 1960. After his death in 1960, the school was renamed in his honor.
- Dayton was home to many burial mounds. There was one found on the corner of Mound Street and 5th street, one on Dayton Street, one north of the head of Central Avenue, one of Huffman Hill, one on Neibert Farm, and one in Oakwood. Most of the mounds were removed for city expansion.
- Woodland Cemetery had a record 225 burials in 1848, due to the cholera epidemic.
- The construction of Huffman Dam required moving the entire village of Osborn from the location that was to become a flood basin. It was joined with the village of Fairfield and is now known as Fairborn. Huffman Lake was created when soil was removed to build the dam.