Dayton Firsts Part 6

  • First Infirmary – the building was erected west of town, on land bought from Dr. James B. Oliver, in April 1826.
  • First Foundry – Opened by McElwee and Clegg and the first “heat” was made on December 2, 1828.
  • First Park – The land on Third Street between St. Clair and Patterson – now occupied by the public library – was deeded to the city in 1836 by David Ziegler Cooper, the son of D. C. Cooper, with the provision that it was “to be kept forever as a walk for the citizens of Dayton and its visitors.” It was first known as the “public square.”
  • First Episcopal Church – St. Thomas Episcopal Church, the first Episcopal church in Dayton, was organized on May 15, 1817 by Bishop Chase, with 23 members.
  • Continue reading