One of the first settlers to Dayton and one of the big names as well, how much do you know about Benjamin Van Cleve? Here are some facts about Benjamin, and his son John.
Benjamin Van Cleve (1773 – 1821)
- His marriage to Mary Whitten was the first marriage registered in Dayton. They had one son, John.
- Benjamin accompanied the first party of settlers to Dayton.
- Benjamin established Dayton’s first library, post office, and school, all in his log cabin.
John Van Cleve (1801 – 1858)
- He was a child prodigy. At 16, he was teaching Latin and Greek and translating plays from German and French.
- He contributed collections to Dayton’s first natural history museum
- Helped found Woodland Cemetery
- Was reportedly over 300 pounds and very sensitive about his appearance. He refused to marry and would not sit for portraits or photographs.