The Miami Conservancy District was organized in 1915, in response to the Great Dayton Flood. The MCD built levees, straightened the river channel, and built 5 dams to control flooding in the Miami Valley. The Miami Conservancy District was the first major watershed district in the nation. The district and its projects are unusual in that they were funded almost entirely by local tax initiatives.
The small village of Osborn, Ohio had little damage from the flood, but experienced issues from its aftermath. The village was located directly in the path of the new Huffman flood plain. The citizens of Osborn decided not to abandon their home, but instead, decided to move their homes to just outside Fairfield, Ohio. Years later, the two towns merged, and changed their name to Fairborn, Ohio.
The 5 dams built to control flooding are:
- Englewood Dam – Regulates the flow of the Stillwater River into the Great Miami River
- Germantown Dam – Regulates the flow of the Twin Creek into the Great Miami River
- Huffman Dam – Regulates flow of Mad River into Great Miami River
- Lockington Dam – Regulates flow of Loramie Creek into Great Miami River
- Taylorsville Dam – Regulates the Great Miami River