In 1975, Wartinger Park was named for John Wartinger, who served his community in several ways:
- worked for the Greene County Parks and Recreation Department
- worked for the Greene County YMCA
- Safety Director of City of Kettering – developed the Safety Patrol Program for Kettering City Schools
- 5th grade basketball referee
- teacher at J.E. Prass Elementary in Kettering
John Wartinger died of a heart attack on July 5th, 1975, and is buried in the Mount Zion Park Cemetery. After serving his community and dedicating much of his life to children, the Greene County Commissioners named and dedicated the park to be the John H. Wartinger Park on December 6, 1975.
Originally, while this space was still unnamed and undeveloped, it was the home of one small cabin – the George Jarusiewic cabin. Over time, four other historical structures were relocated to Wartinger Park.
- George Jarusiewic Cabin – This cabin was built around 1805, and was painstakingly dismantled and rebuilt at Wartinger Park in 1972 by the then owner, George Jarusiewic. Today, the George Jarusiewic Cabin is now a replica, as the original cabin was removed in 1997 due to an insect infestation.
- Philip Harshman House – This house was built between 1803 and 1807 and was originally located on North Fairfield Road and was to be torn down in 1985. When the demolition process began, the original log house was revealed under wood siding, and the structure was preserved for restoration.
- Samuel Ankeney House – Originally located on Ankeney Road, this 1828 house was located on Ankeney Road and rebuilt at Wartinger Park in 1993. The fireplace was rebuilt in 1997 using bricks from the former Beavercreek High School building, which was destroyed by fire in 1996.
- John Nicodemus Cabin – Built around 1811, this cabin was originally at the corner of New Germany Road and Grange Hall Road, and was on land owned by the Zink family. As with the Harshman House, the cabin was going to be torn down, when the original structure was discovered. The cabin was built by John Nicodemus and became the second cabin at Wartinger Park. Stones from the cabin’s original foundation were used around the base of the cabin.
- Peter Tobias-Zimmer Barn – this barn sadly no longer exists as it was destroyed by the 2019 Memorial Day tornados. Peter Tobias built this one-story saltbox barn in 1858, and was donated to Wartinger Park in 1996. The barn was used to host park functions.
Also honoring some more of Beavercreek’s history, the stones in the pathway to the Harshman House and leading to the Ankeney House were saved from the foundation of the old Lantz Barn, which was located on Kemp Road.
If you’d like to visit Wartinger Park, it is located in Beavercreek at 3080 Kemp Road.