Are you tired of hearing this? We are! Things have been tough the past several months and there are many events, festivals, and parties being cancelled this year in order to prevent the spread of Covid 19. Among the many were Sideshow, Yellow Springs Street Fair, Crafty-Con, Renaissance Festival, and too many more to name. It’s frustrating to sit inside all day every day or to wear a mask everywhere you go. So what can you do?
Here are some tips and suggestions to keep you sane and socially distanced.
- Zoom – Have a zoom meeting with family or friends. Schedule it as a regular thing weekly or monthly, based on your schedule. Other platforms you can use for multiple video calls are: Whatsapp, Facebook messenger, or Google Hangouts.
- Arrange chairs in a large circle outside, and have a chat with friends. Many of you may have seen this happen in parking lots lately. Just make sure to maintain social distancing!
- Get a pen pal. Reach out to friends and family and find an interested pen pal. If nobody in your circle is available, try contacting a local nursing home and asking if any of their residents would be interested!
- Join a Facebook group. No matter what your interest, there is likely a Facebook group created for it. There are also groups that rely more on interaction, such as “booing” or “wine me” groups. The central theme of those groups is to leave a small gift on someone’s doorstep, like Secret Santa.
If socializing with others isn’t your thing, there are many other ways to enjoy the extra time you spend at home.
- Catch up on reading. Read the books you bought but never got around to reading or reread an old favorite!
- Learn a new language. The process of learning a new language can be satisfying and fulfilling.
- Deep-clean your home. There is something just so satisfying about relaxing in a clean home.
- Start an exercise regimen. It’s never a bad time to get healthier!
- Learn a new craft or hobby. Knitting, sewing, resin, jewelry making…the sky’s the limit!
- Research something new. Become the SME (subject matter expert) on a topic that has always interested you.
If all else fails, you can always contact us at Dayton Unknown and tell us what you always wanted to know about Dayton!
I’ve been learning German on the Duolingo app this year