Happy 65th Birthday, Kettering!
On June 24, 1955, an official proclamation from the Ohio Secretary of State elevated the Village of Kettering to an official city.
A few facts about Kettering:
- Kettering has two sister cities: Steyr, Austria and Kettering, England.
- Kettering was named after Charles Fitzgerald Kettering, a resident of the community and prominent inventor and innovator.
- According to the 2010 census, Kettering has 56,163 residents.
- Kettering has 250 miles of streets.
- A special census taken in 1955 counted the population at 38,118, which qualified the Village to be a city.
- Kettering is the hometown of Dayton Unknown’s founder and author, Sara Kaushal, and Media Manager Bethany Kmeid.
Famous Kettering residents:
- Rob Dyrdek
- Nancy Cartwright – Voice of Bart Simpson
- Malik Zaire – Quarterback at Notre Dame
- Sherri Saum – Daytime Emmy – nominated actress
- Chris Borland – former NFL linebacker – San Francisco 49ers and Wisconsin Badgers
- A.J. Hawk (born in Kettering, grew up in Centerville) – Former linebacker for Green Bay Packers, Cincinnati Bengals, and Atlanta Falcons.
- Jim Paxson – Former NBA player and former general manager of the Cleveland Cavaliers
- John Paxson -Former NBA player and current executive VP of basketball operations for the Chicago Bulls, younger brother of Jim Paxson