Eddie Breen served as Mayor of Dayton from 1946-1948 then served as a member of the US House of Representatives from Ohio’s 3rd District.
Eddie had many notable members of his family, including:
- John Breen, who along with John Ohmer had invented and manufactured the Taxi Meter. They originally planned to take the maiden voyage of the Titanic but opted instead to continue their sales trip in Europe.
- Maurice Breen, who smuggled runaway slaves in his wagon among parts for railway construction.
- Bernadina Focke and her sons, who set up a card table in the Arcade selling meat. This business would become a successful meat packing business that lasted until 1972.
- Mary Lousie Breen, who spied for FDR in France and Germany during WWII.
- Marie Berno Focke, who sang and danced with Fred Astaire in the 1920s.
Eddie Breen died on May 8, 1991, and is buried at Calvary Cemetery. For more information about these events and more stories about this family, check out the book Lucky Eddie, by Edward Focke Breen.